When the need to work meets the need of a community

I had gained fluency in English by 2012, and thus decided to start teaching Portuguese to the foreign community where I lived, in Gois. The need arised from communication difficulties that we all experienced during meetings, and the need of speaking one common language. I also felt the difficulties that the foreigners had in communicating with locals, whilst shopping, buying property, or just in obtaining informations…

The gap between the foreign and the local community can be quite big and frightening for both sides.

Meeting my need to work and the community's need to learn Portuguese, combined with my pleasure to teach, went all in favour of the start of this project. It was an opportunity not to be missed.

When I returned to Cascais, my hometown, I continued to support my old students' language learning process and also their integration, finding that lessons on Skype were the best way to do this. I really enjoyed the experience and I am motivated to continue.

Currently I also give Portuguese lessons to foreigners who want to come to live in Portugal and choose to learn the language before adventuring into the country. It is my opinion that this is a good way to go, as it is sometimes difficult to live and make things move forward here, and not being able to speak the native language can aggravate the situation.

Comentários

Mensagens populares deste blogue

Immerse yourself in a Portuguese speaking residency for a full two days!